Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Updated the DC charging system

I decided to get rid of the unregulated 100amp alternator and exchange it for a manually regulated 60 amp alternator. The problem is that when I try to start it in the morning, it would charge about 60 or 70 amps which would consume all it's power and leave little for the ac generator. Then by the end of the day as the batteries build up, the engine is running under a strain and getting hot.

By reducing the alternator output to about 30 amps, it can run all day and still have extra power for the ac generator for my hot water and air conditioner. Everything else runs on the batteries and inverter.

Because of the large bank of batteries i have, I can charge them at 30 to 50 amps rite up until They are fully charged without over heating. heck, 50 amps all day won't even get them warm.

To control the alternator I used a big OHMITE variable resistor. I put it in series with the FIELD. Now when I am not tunning anything else I can charge ay 50 or 60amps and when I want hot water or air conditioning, I can drop it back to 20, 30 or 40 amps.

No comments: